Trends that will Shape Engagement in 2014
FACEBOOK STATUSES GO PUBLIC
Pressure to increase and diversify profitability will lead Facebook to completely reorganize its ad offerings, a process that began roughly a year and a half ago, but has been slow to solidify.
Ad units allowing brands higher visibility in the coveted newsfeed, where users spend 19 out of the 20 minutes on of their average Facebook visit, will help brands break away from overpassed side rails. Facebook will relinquish its hold on user data previously available only through open graph app strategies that have shown diminishing returns.
2014 will bear fruit for Facebook’s sponsored engagement ads and long-promised videos – 15-second spots that autoplay in the newsfeed and exceed a $1 million asking price. And despite years mired in privacy concerns, Facebook will make status updates, trends and user data more public in 2014, allowing media and other entities to access new monetization opportunities, keyword and lookalike targeting, and CRM matching still held under lock and key by largely private profiles.
INSTAGRAM MESSAGING GOES PRIVATE
If Facebook can’t buy it, it creates it. After rumors surfaced that Snapchat snubbed Facebook’s offer to purchase the private photo platform for $3 billion, it’s no surprise that the Menlo Park team has released its development dogs to take a bite out of disposable media. Zuckerberg’s pet project Facebook Poke already proved that the social giant could replicate Snapchat’s functionality in just a few days. In 2014, expect Instagram to be the platform that delivers private photo messaging, allowing 1:1 and group sharing of photography – and of course a route for brands to monetize photos that may cause potential Snapchat revenues to self-destruct.
- What the Heck is Snapchat, and Why Should Marketers Care? (business2community.com)
- Instagram Setting Its Sights On Private Messaging? (newsy.com)
- Snapchat ads closer to reality (click2houston.com)
- Snapchat Says No To Facebook (mikekayler.wordpress.com)
- Why Facebook Wanted Snapchat So Badly (clixto7.com)
- Snapchat ads closer to reality (wyff4.com)
- Why Snapchat is screwed (pandodaily.com)
- With New COO Hire, Snapchat Means (Non-Ephemeral) Business (allthingsd.com)
- Filing Indicates Snapchat Is Looking To Raise $54.5M At Around A $2B Valuation (jeremiahtillman.wordpress.com)
- Snapchat ads closer to reality (money.cnn.com)