Netflix has informed TechCrunch that it is indeed testing a $6.99 single-stream plan to new users as part of a test. The option appears to some new users after selecting the streaming option as a free trial.
Unfortunately for those of you excited for a dollar off discount on a standard definition stream, a Netflix spokesperson also told us that not all users may see the option and that it may never offer it generally.
The plan was first noted by Adweek this morning and we confirmed the plan as an option when we began signing up for the $7.99 streaming-only plan with a 30-day trial.
Offering a standard-def stream to one device might as well be called ‘the smartphone plan’, as that’s what it seems most suited to. Though many smartphone screens are above HD resolution, the smaller real-estate means that it can be difficult to discern a standard-def stream from a high-definition one.
Netflix analyzes a junk ton of data about user viewing habits including locations, devices and times of day that people view stuff. If that information was telling them that people view Netflix a lot on smartphones while traveling then a single stream in SD rather than HD might actually make a lot of sense for a certain subset of users. Of course, a buck off is a nice ‘sale price’ and if people get utility out of it they might feel inclined to expand the plan further down the road.
- Netflix Says It’s Testing New $6.99 Single Screen Streaming Plan, But It May Never Roll Out To Everyone (techcrunch.com)
- Netflix Says It’s Testing New $6.99 Single Screen Streaming Plan, But It May Never Roll Out To Everyone (jeremiahtillman.wordpress.com)
- Netflix to purge more than 80 movies, show from streaming service (wgntv.com)
- Netflix Lowers Streaming Price by $1 for New Members (mashable.com)
- Town of Brookhaven single-stream recycling set to begin (newsday.com)
- Netflix to eliminate heaps of movies and TV shows from streaming (wtvr.com)
- Last Chance: Netflix removing dozens of movies and shows New Year’s Day (kfor.com)
- Netflix Lowers Streaming Price by $1 for New Members (mukeshbalani.wordpress.com)
- Netflix Offering Cheaper Streaming without HD (sascho.wordpress.com)
- Netflix Knocks a Dollar Off Its SD Streaming Service for New Users (adweek.com)